Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Fighting for what Gideon needs...not forgetting the others

I took my friend's advice.  I cried and cried the first day.  I called a counselor so I could have someone to talk to that didn't share my frustrations as prayer requests or excuses for me being sharp with them.  I  started seeing the counselor because I could no longer take full, leisurely breaths.  Shallow breaths, with a tight chest is what I would do. I would smile and push through the day.  Lay in bed at night crying quietly, praying that my Gideon would be okay.  I would say to God, "This was the one I did EVERYTHING right.  I took my vitamins, I slept, ate well, I didn't drink coke, except one on the nights I worked, I nursed him for 15 mo., he didn't go to daycare, I didn't drink a single alcholic bevee rage, I exercised, I was married, sigh..."  My prayers were more of a time for me to feel sorry for myself since during daylight hours I was busy being busy.  I was taking classes to advance my career, and caring for two busy bodies.

The counselor was great, she helped me learn how to trust others to help me and just by talking about my feelings I felt better.  I think all Moms should be entitled to a counselor because there's days that just getting the kids off to school is equal in effort to a day of work, and then you have the rest of the day to contend with.

The first testing with the school didn't go well.  The speech therapist called Gideon "Oppositional."  This kept him from 3 months of therapy, that he DID qualify for.  I had to nicely call the School System back twice a day, telling Gideon's WHOLE story to the person that answered the phone BEFORE allowing them to transfer me to the counselor's voicemail.  After four days and 7 phone calls, they scheduled him to be followed by the school psychologist and testing to be redone by the psychologist, psychomotrist, a and different speech therapist.  Once the psychologist followed him, she told me that my concerns are accurate and he is on the Autism Spectrum.  I thought that I wanted confirmation, I don't know what I wanted.  I guess I really hadn't thought that far.  The good thing was, he got into a Developmental Delay class with an awesome teacher, where he would receive speech therapy and occupational therapy.  At this time, Gideon repeated what you said, and couldn't answer ANY questions.  Not "How old are you, what's your name" any of the questions a three year old answers.  He needed to be with professionals.

In the meantime, Gunnar is growing up, trying to keep up with his brothers.  He is fearless, talking ALL THE TIME.  He is so cute and his mannerisms remind me so much of my husband.  He's like Nick's mini-me.  He uses his cuteness to get his way, and unfortunately I think it's adorable! 

Gavin is growing up to be a pre-teen.  The kid has a heart of gold.  He is so compassionate and just a good kid.  He is conscientious and helps me SO MUCH with the other two.

So, I guess that brings you up to speed (for the most part).  Now it's on to the daily funnies that the kids do.  There could be some humor that might be offensive to some, just remember that there are days that if I don't laugh, I will cry.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment