So, I was eavesdropping on Gideon and Gavin playing. They were playing with blocks, leggos, and little men. Gideon bumped his head and wanted Gavin to console him. So, Gavin did what any big brother would do, he hugged him. Then he told Gideon, "I love you." Gideon responded, "I don't love you, I love Mommy."
Gavin came to me and told me what Gideon said, I just told him that he too will inherent my awesomeness and others will love him the same. (Jokingly) He was concerned that Gideon didn't know that he could love more than one person. I never thought about it like that. I know autists have difficulty showing feelings, but I never thought about them not realizing they have feelings for someone or something. I told Gideon that Mommy loves Daddy, Gavin, him, Gunnar, and Gia. That I love my Dad and Mom and extended family. It became a game and he started randomly naming people.
I don't struggle with the PT/OT part of his recovery. However, the social aspect is harder for me. How do I tell someone how to FEEL? I am puzzled by this. I am trying to ask him questions like, "Did you have fun at school, did you like it? Did you like this (showing items he did at school) activity? Which was better?" and I could go on and on.
I am grateful for his speech development and he seems to be getting less agitated by sounds. He is speaking full sentences. He asks questions that don't pertain to him, like "Where's my brudder?" He is making progress but still has a lot more work to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment